Dear United Local Community,
In mid-march, a new directive from Governor DeWine greatly altered the way we do business. A mysterious new virus termed "Coronavirus" was causing everyone to adjust to a new normal. In terms of education, our staff had to quickly plan on ways to educate students remotely. I am proud to say that our staff has done a wonderful job of instituting a great plan to overcome many obstacles including our students who are not connected.
Within weeks, our legislators unanimously supported the passage of HB 197, which offered guidance for districts though these uncharted waters caused by the shutdown of districts and businesses throughout the state and country. Some of the key features of HB 197 include:
- Elimination of federal and state testing for the 2019-2020 school year
- Dismissal of the State Report Card for 2019-2020
- Waiver of the third-grade guarantee retention requirement
- Permission for schools to grant high school diplomas to students who are on track to graduate
- Permission to meet instructional hour requirements through distance learning
As superintendent of the United Local School District, I couldn't be more happy and proud of our response to the challenges set before us. Our dedication remains to the students and families of this wonderful community and we look forward to continuing to lead through service.
Stay healthy and Go Eagles!